Sunday, March 8, 2009

iTunes University

The BEST thing about iTunes University is that it's FREE! iTunes University is a way to research subjects as well as share your own information with the world!

As a teacher, I can search for additional material to help students better understand a lesson. For example, I'm helping my students study for the Geography CRT. The study guide includes 196 questions. The material is pretty broad and ranges from facts on Asia to China. I can gather iTunes University podcasts for information such as "When Asia Was the World" and "Landscapes of China". Students will gain more by LISTENING to something INTERESTING (that's short and sweet) vs. reading a 50-page chapter in a book. I hate to say that, but it's true.

I can also search for videos on iTunes University. Here's another example. I'm teaching probability in my math class. We all know that students learn at their own pace. Even the smartest student can have trouble with graphing functions. In order to move along with the majority of the class, I could provide students who are having trouble understanding probability with an iTunes University video "Learn Basic Math" to help them.

The disadvantage of iTunes University if that not all children have iPods. With the current economy, not all parents can afford an iPod. In addition, not all parents can afford a computer AND monthly Internet access fee.

No comments:

Post a Comment